Friday, September 08, 2006

The Green Man

A couple of days ago I found myself driving down a familiar country lane. Now two things always come to mind when I am on this road. Halfway down on the right is the secluded farm where the musician Roy Wood, of sixties fame used to live, (ie- The Move, Electric Light Orchestra, Wizzard - That Roy Wood), always makes me hum 'Blackberry Way', or 'Flowers in the rain', or 'I can hear the Grass grow'. On Sunday afternoons in the summer, back in the early eighties, we would spend some time propping up the bar at the local canalside pub just up the road......I digress.


A little further past the entrance to the farm is a still living but hollowed out Wych Elm. this is the second thing I always think of on this road.

The Tree is supposed to a refuge for a spectral woman who shelters from the rain in its empty trunk on dark wet nights. I cant say that I have ever seen her but that road at night is a bit foreboding.

The tree, when examined carefully is fascinating. It brings to mind the legend of the Green Man, a Pagan belief of the Spirit of the Greenwood tree.

The Green Man is everywhere in Britain. Carved into the Gothic stonework of our Cathedrals and Churches, and remembered in many of our pub names.

Look deep into the Forest and you will see his face. He is here in this hollowed out tree trunk.

Take a look, can you see him?

We will be coming back to the Green Man.

No comments:

bloglog